Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Champions League play
Next month the hunt for the CL silverware heats up. 

CHELSEA v. PSG
Chelsea in my opinion have no chance against PSG and yet when I watch the Parisians play in most recently in Ligue1 and also in the French Cup against Toulouse they looked thoroughly bored and guys are pulling up injured, I suppose because they lead the league by 23 or so points and no one can apparently give them a run. I wonder if we can catch them while they try to turn on the jets and upset them in Paris.

Wishful thinking but I do believe that PSG can be stopped but by whom? PSG gets by on away goals.

ARSENAL v. BARCELONA
History says the Catalans and until then why go against past performances.
A healthy Arsenal and a game plan that goes against the traditional Wenger formations and predictability might be the course of action. Whenever I watch Messi orchestrate Neymar & Suarez it is like a symphony. This is either a rout or a war that goes into extra time at the Camp Nou. 

With Petr Cech this could be Arsenal's time. I will never bet against Cech... Arsenal deflate Barcelona at their cathedral.

MANCHESTER CITY v. DYNAMO KYIV
Manny Pells is a dead man walking and how fitting would it be to see him flip the CL Trophy to the UAE Sheikh's on his way out the door and leaving Guardiola in yet another situation of following a coach who won when he hasn't since he left Barca?
Then again we are talking about City and I am surprised they got to this stage. So much talent and they mail it in most of the time and yes Aguero is out with a knee injury again,

City survives and goes on.

BENFICA v. ZENIT ST. PETERSBURG
Andre Villas Boas is leaving at the end of the season so why will the players go out and play for him? They have come this far and Benfica will be a great opportunity to advance considering who they could have been drawn with... 

Benfica advances. Zenit unable to capitalize on Russian soil when they should have buried the Portuguese...

BAYERN MUNCHEN v. JUVENTUS
Guardiola swansong shows that he wasn't any better than the great Jupp Heynckes afterall.

ROMA v. REAL MADRID
A bloodbath and the Italian white flags are everywhere at the Stadio Olympico.

GENT v. WOLFSBURG
I like the German side in this series and a shame they sold DeBruyne who would have been the architect of Lord Bendtner's coronation.

PSV v. ATLETICO MADRID
Atleti breeze through the under performing assets of Philips Electronics.

I love this particular competition and can't wait for the games to begin.
Well you're wrong about Pep.
Pep is a great coach but I'd love to see him tested by building a team and creating superstars, really he needs to stay at a club for more than 3 or 4 years and create a legacy somewhere.

I think we're gonna get destroyed by Barcelona at the Camp Nou, we've always done well against them at the Grove though. Ultimately we will fail to progress to the Quarters for the 6th year in a row...
I think his way of work has limited time so I doubt he stays somewhere longer than 3-4 years. I think his legacy at Barcelona is as big as anyone's and at Bayern he'll leave as one of the greatest even if Bayern doesn't win CL. His record of games won to that played is unbelivable.
And I think Low and Germany took a lot of his game plan to them and that helped them become world champions. I think he's still a lot being underestimated I just don't understand why. They first said he could only have success at Barcelona but he put them wrong (even if Bayern don't win CL), Bayern is ebtter then ever before but people will say he didn't win CL.... He's the best out there no doubt in my mind. We'll get Carlo but I would still rather have Pep.
You just keep saying "he's the best, even without winning the CL with us" and we should all just agree with you, just cause you said so? It's not that difficult to boss the BuLi you know? Any other manager and you'd be going on about how he couldn't win the Champions League with another team. Maureen won it in Portugal and Italy, Carlo won it in Italy and Spain. Why can't Pep win it in Spain and Germany? Is he not good enough? Let's see him win it with another team and then we'll talk
Well we can easily use excuse in spending as Bayern is nowhere near the top teams in spending, even teams like Norwich outspend Bayern for a example. Nobody needs to agree with me. I've seen Bayern over last 20 years all the time and this is the best team they ever had and plays the best in that time but CL is not just handed on a plate. Mourinho spent billions and has 2 CL titles won with 2 clubs who were worse then the other two he coached.
(21-01-2016, 03:51 PM)bayern Wrote: Well we can easily use excuse in spending as Bayern is nowhere near the top teams in spending, even teams like Norwich outspend Bayern for a example. Nobody needs to agree with me. I've seen Bayern over last 20 years all the time and this is the best team they ever had and plays the best in that time but CL is not just handed on a plate. Mourinho spent billions and has 2 CL titles won with 2 clubs who were worse then the other two he coached.

Bayern, why aren't they spending? Hasn't the debt service been paid off on the Allianz Arena already? They are a cash cow I thought so when they know what others are spending to compete and with their history and environment which would be conducive to attract the best of talent, why not open the purse strings?
Debt has been cleared last summer, now they are investing huge sum in new training and youth ground. They could spent on credit like 99% of other clubs but they don't want to. This summer they will be debt free so we'll see how much they will spent. To be honest there wasn't a majpt hole to cover last summer.
Bayern don't spend much on transfers but their wage bill is one of the highest in the world, they wouldn't be able to compete at the top level if they weren't able to pay some of the best players in the world a salary that's in line with the other big clubs. Bayern's wage bill is certainly a lot higher than Norwich's! Bear in mind we pay massively inflated prices in the PL for English players so the transfer fee argument is null and void really.

Bayern spend big, they function in a league that is the most noncompetitive out of all the top leagues and Pep inherited a side that had just won the treble.

Like I said, I think he's a great coach, but I also think he still has something to prove.