Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spain 2-0 England
I know this forum is now as dead as a doorstop but after taking a few days away from watching football (for obvious reasons) I thought I would give my thoughts on the match.

First: England, and from what everyone in the press has been saying it's same old incompetent England. Can't play well against the big boys etc etc. Trying to speak positively I thought England played reasonably well for 75 mins. Their problems in that time came from none of the strikers doing their job and actually hitting the damn target, despite the chances they had. It was sad to see strikers usually so confident play so shite.

And this game showed a lot about Spain too. Moments of brilliance a but some serious defensive frailties. If they actually played a team who could hit the target like France or Germany they would be done for. I know it's a friendly but I think they got as much food for thought out of the game as England did.
Spain were the first team to be eliminated from the World Cup last year so it definitely looks like they're on the decline, even if it was a friendly and they beat us! I didn't watch the game as I ended up being glued to the news but I've seen the goals and both were very, very good. Santi's finish was similar to Mullers for Bayern's 5th when they battered us the other week.

I don't hold out much hope for England in the Euros next year, despite being unbeaten in qualifying, I just don't think we're good enough to beat the bigger teams. Germany would destroy us.
Got to agree there. As Jason Roberts said: smaller teams have to manage them game in such a way to make it difficult for the bigger teams and England didn't really make it difficult for Spain. England got away with playing the way they did because Spain can't really defend that well.

I can see group stages, maybe last 16 at a push.
The French are gonna be up for it after everything that's happened this year. It's gonna be tough for us.
Why do you British people do this? This self deprecating thing you always do? If England had won that match, I bet you would have had something to complain about. "they're papering over the cracks" "they got lucky" "Spain didn't care about it because it was only a friendly" "fluke"
etc.
I'm sure whoever plays you never underrates you, hence the toughness of each game. Didn't you guys qualify for the Euro's with a perfect 10? Even the other major teams couldn't manage to achieve that. Now I'm not saying you guys aren't shit but ffs, losing to Spain in a friendly isn't something to be ashamed about. Maybe they had better players but then again, they have a better team than most teams in the world right now(Except maybe Germany). Maybe you guys will relearn how to enjoy and support your national team if/when you win a major tournament because God knows I don't enjoy mine one bit, and we won a major tournament two years ago. Don't become as indifferent as I did
Rots, qualifying with a perfect 10 means shit as the opposition were so bad. We got vattered by spain from start to finish and coukdnt keep the ball for longer than 5 seconfs. We played exactly as i expected and didnt and anticipate more of the same on Tues. england are nit goid enough to win a major tournament and havnt been in my lifetime.
Tough luck then. Some major teams have struggled during these qualifiers too is all I'm saying. I feel you though. They may be shit but don't just write them off yet. They could get a good group and after that, it's touch and go. Nobody thought Nigeria would win a major tournament 2 years ago l but they did, with none other than your dearly beloved Mikel pulling the strings from midfield, no less! Who woulda thunk!
(16-11-2015, 03:14 PM)Rotimi Wrote: Why do you British people do this? This self deprecating thing you always do? If England had won that match, I bet you would have had something to complain about. "they're papering over the cracks" "they got lucky" "Spain didn't care about it because it was only a friendly" "fluke"
etc.
I'm sure whoever plays you never underrates you, hence the toughness of each game. Didn't you guys qualify for the Euro's with a perfect 10? Even the other major teams couldn't manage to achieve that. Now I'm not saying you guys aren't shit but ffs, losing to Spain in a friendly isn't something to be ashamed about. Maybe they had better players but then again, they have a better team than most teams in the world right now(Except maybe Germany). Maybe you guys will relearn how to enjoy and support your national team if/when you win a major tournament because God knows I don't enjoy mine one bit, and we won a major tournament two years ago. Don't become as indifferent as I did

Rots, did you watch the game? I said they played well and created chances with little possession for 75 mins. But England have a habit of performing badly in major tournaments and everyone knows that. We still haven't got that monkey off our backs like Spain and Holland have.
Sorry I didn't see the game. I didn't say they played badly or great, I just feel like it's the same story with the English fans. Being critical of one's team isn't always a bad thing as everybody needs a bit of criticism for improvement but to make it a Constant song is a bit counterproductive. Those players go into most tournaments with the knowledge that the pundits back home are waiting for them to fail, the fans really don't give a shit about their performance and some players will get torn to shreds, due to their club affiliations. All these things messes with the minds of the players.
That's the irony though, Rots. They cared for years and decades. English fans are some of the most vocal I see in major tournaments. The chanted and supported almost blindly even when the team wasn't playing well, but after 19 years of poor performances some of the fans have had enough. The team lost the imagination of the fans and it's their job to recapture that. Not just complain about how there is so much criticism levelled their way.