Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bayern v Arsenal
Very early start tomorrow for a 3 bender in Munchen, always carnage out there. Come on Hans get yourself down for a few drinks!

Anyway, no idea what to make of this game really, Bayern come off the back of a 0-0 draw with Eintracht on Friday night but they'd scored 7 goals in their previous 2 games so it certainly didn't look like their defeat to Arsenal had any effect on them.

It's always tough to play Bayern because they're quite good at football but then we haven't lost to them in our previous visits to the Allianz, who fucking knows ey? I hope for a good game either way!

Up the Arse!
It's also a different scenario to those games in Munich in previous years. I'm sure Bayern will be very keen to revenge that lose and even if they lose again then 2 wins in last 2 games will get them through, so the presurre on Bayern isn't as big as it could have been. I think Bayern will win this one by at least 2 goals.
How is the scenario different? We go there needing the win far more than Munich which is how it was in our previous 2 visits. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a draw. Only issue though we're now without Walcott, Ramsey and The Ox who all did their bit in the 2-0 a couple weeks back.
I see Arsenal winning by a single goal margin. That would certainly make things interesting
(02-11-2015, 12:44 PM)AG86 Wrote: How is the scenario different? We go there needing the win far more than Munich which is how it was in our previous 2 visits. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a draw. Only issue though we're now without Walcott, Ramsey and The Ox who all did their bit in the 2-0 a couple weeks back.

Different is that Bayern lost the first game which in years before they won in London always first and they don't want to be winless for 3 straight home games against Arsenal or any other team for that matter.
Yeah but it's a group game not a knockout game so there is no first/second leg, it's different in that regard but I believe it's similar in terms of outcome.
(02-11-2015, 12:44 PM)Rotimi Wrote: I see Arsenal winning by a single goal margin. That would certainly make things interesting

If we lose BOTH our games against Arsenal that would be pretty bad, and I really wouldn't expect it.

Away, our CL performances under Pep have always been timid and kind of weak.
He's out for control and security, and then we play ourselves to sleep and can't match the intensity anymore.

I guess he's still got the Barca way of blowing everyone away at home regardless of the first leg in mind, and we could do that last season with Shakhtar and Porto (0:0 away, 7?:0 at home, 1:3 away, 5?:1 at home).
Barca of course was a different caliber, and Arsenal can also be immensely strong when they're underdogs.

I'd expect us to go more for the kill and play faster at home, but you never know!!
Also, our wingers are fit again (apart from Ribéry of course who might come back end of the year) which they weren't in the first leg.
Costa and Coman were slightly injured from international duty, Robben wasn't fit to start yet. All three should be ok now.

Having wingers, obviously, is very important for us. After all, last CL semis we didn't have one single wide player available Lol
Costa was good in the first leg. I think Robben will bring in that extra bite in attack, cutting in and shooting, as against just crossing it in and hoping somebody gets on the end of it. Something about Neuer suggests he's become overconfident, cocky even. Some may just call it complacency. He's still shit hot though so maybe I'm just misreading his body language. Guardiola sets up his team not to let you get any time on the ball. If you don't have the ball, you can't do damage. Problem is if a team has quick thinkers, they don't need that much time to hurt you. Arsenal could have easily scored more than 2 the last time out, although Cech made a couple crucial saves too. It's going to be interesting for sure
Costa made good dribbles, but his final ball/crosses, decision making wasn't good. Not that that can be excused with coming back unfit from international duty. So guess I just hope he will be more effective on Wednesday.

Funnily, Pep has employed him in a kind of CM/AM role lately. Last weekend, Pep started ALL of Costa, Coman, Robben, Lewandowski AND Müller, so basically 5 strikers in front of lone Vidal lol. At one point in the game (Pep changes stuff midgame all the time), Costa played almost alongside Vidal in CM. Worked like a charm, and I wish Pep would show these kind of balls in big games too.

Because what are we afraid of? Yes, Arsenal can hurt us when they have the ball, but only if we're not playing with intensity.
An important part of our possession game is the intense counterpressing - trying to win the ball back really hard as soon as it's gone/in contention.

THAT's the way to contain counters, not timid possession like we showed it at Arsenal, and have shown it in previous away games.

We usually do it, but in big away games caution seems to get the better of Pep, which paradoxically makes us more vulnerable, in my opinion.