Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pep: Will he stay?
(02-11-2015, 03:33 PM)Hans_Dampf Wrote: hmm

not so sure. They're not afraid to spend these days, it's more down to Wenger's instincts now.

Özil, Sanchez both cost more than any transfer Bayern have ever done.

Since Pep joined Bayern (summer window 13/14), we have net spent about 75m €.
Arsenal in that same period have net spent ore than 150m €.

Sure you can say the starting point was different, but Arsenal has more than enough financial power, and most of all have a team in place with which Pep could work (at least as it looks right now, who knows about 2017 or 18 ).

I think the idea of taking over Arsenal could be attractive for him. Of course, like Utd after Fergie, they'd have to get rid of the notion that a manager has to be there for decades, and maybe install a sporting director.
After all, Pep would prefer to only commit to one year at a time, that's why there's so much commotion now lol. He did the same at Barca, only extending each year for another year at the last moment.
He's a little diva, no doubt.

For example at City. They've spent truckloads, but would Pep be able to work with that team as seamlessly?

At United too, he'd probably have to change more players even though you've been buying many.

Of course, ultimately, he'll do a fantastic job wherever he goes. Best coach currently working by a country mile, each club he goes to, be it City, United or Arsenal, will be top favourites for everything immediately.

If he went to any of the other teams you mentioned, they wouldn't have any problem adapting to him and his preferences as they've had to do that in recent years anyway. Besides, it's not so much as them being able to afford players than them buying those players before an emergency. There's always something that looks a bit desperate about the way Arsenal spend big. It almost looks like they would rather not but just do enough to keep the fans quiet for a bit. Plus I don't think Pep can handle a transition as seamlessly as you think, especially at a club like Arsenal who hasn't had a go at it for quite a while now.
It's more of what AG said, about the board. Sure Pep is great and all that but I don't see the Arsenal board being flexible enough to let him do what he can while providing the funds at the right time. Quite simply, I too, don't trust their board
I think the way Arsenal have been spending/buying, or not, now are mostly down to Wenger, as I said. That's my impression at least.

In earlier years sure there were financial restraints. But even then being frugal was Wenger's way of doing things since day one.

Of course your point about having to do things differently after such a long time stands, we've seen what Fergie leaving meant.

But I would say, on the transfer market, what you perceive as Arsenal's behavioour is Wenger's behaviour.

If he had wanted to pay 25m pounds or something for a DM like Krychowiak or Carvalho, the board would have given him the money.

If he had said "I need a striker like Higuain, Giroud can leave", they'd have let him pay 50m for Higuain.

It's just that Wenger wants Benzema, not Higuain. Javi Martinez, not Krychowiak. Else he prefers to trust the ones he has.

He's so picky when squad planning, that's why it looks so stupid when he has to panic buy mediocre players due to circumstances.

That's my take.

Obviously noone knows what Pep wants. City was touted as his next destination because of those two sporting directors from Barca, but I don't believe the rumours.
I would say that Arsenal, Man United too no doubt, would be more appealing for him as clubs. Just my feeling.