Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BANG
(31-08-2016, 12:43 PM)Rotimi Wrote: Oh please Bayern, not that far up. It's boring enough in Germany as it is, let's not add the negative Serie A to the equation

It's not boring to me, winning is always fun.  Caritas_05
Of course! Why do you think it's boring to me?
You don't even watch it so it can't be boring to you.
(31-08-2016, 12:49 PM)Rotimi Wrote: I do Hans, but only through her book(s) though. I read that book last year and it was only my curiosity that let me finish it. She's supposedly good but all I got from the book was an average writer that messed up her chronology and came across as a bit biased. I saw the movie that was adapted from another book of hers and I'm still not convinced. Same old mistakes. It's all good though because she made a lot of young Nigerians pick up a book(which is an achievement on its own).
She's no Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe through, that's for sure.

It's funny because me too thought that book was pretty poorly written.
I wanted to stop in the middle when it was really bad for a while, but then finished because I was actually interested to read the part taking place in Lagos which is just interesting for me because I know nothing about it and have never read any fiction about it either.
I'm not too picky either so it was ok.

But it's intersting to see you thought it was kind of bad too.
That's why I was asking, was interested to see how she is viewed in Nigeria.
She's hyped in the US out of some patronizing philo-African thing I guess, a la "oh how strong and beautiful, an African voice mirroring our society".
Ironically, much like some of the observation she makes herself in the book about US's dealing with race and black people (which are accurate observations, I just thought the novel, as a novel, was poorly written).

Can you elobarate though about what you mean about her "bias" and about the chronology. Do you mean Nigerian politics or history?
Nigerian politics, History, timeline of events, even minor details like products that weren't even released when she claimed they were being used, The house she lived in with her parents as a child...
There's so much stuff I could pick on without looking for it. As for her views on racism and the way she was treated at times, I get that it's bad but it could be worse back home. The opportunities she was afforded in the US then were great as compared to what she could have been through back home. Do you know you couldn't rise to certain levels in state governments by virtue of the fact you were not from the same region? As a Yoruba(one of 3 major tribes), you had limitations if you were to work for an Igbo(another major tribe) state government. There's a high chance you won't reach your full potential. Same goes for an Igbo working for a Yoruba state government or an Hausa(the other major tribe) state government. We call it tribalism. As bad as racism is in the US, I've discovered Nigerians make things work for themselves. You know I've never heard of a homeless Nigerian in that country? I'm sure there's a few of them but I've not heard of it.
In a nutshell, it isn't a great book, neither is she a great writer, but I applaud her effort. I'm not going to be reading any of her other works though, as it's not my type of literature. Trust the Americans to hype something unexpected though. They always love the underdog story.
Oh by the way, if you're looking for stuff on Lagos or Nigeria as a whole, just come down here and let us show you what the real Lagos looks like. You probably won't get techno raves or rock concerts but the things we do for fun won't disappoint you
There's surely a lot of techno raves in Lagos too, aren't there?

The people in the book are Igbo, no?
Yep. They are.
Not sure I've heard of one Techno rave here. It's usually hip hop, RnB, pop and our own styles; Juju, Fuji, Afrobeat, etc.
Oh do shut the fuck up you boring pair of cunts. This page is boring enough talking about the sausage suckers but you two have just smashed the boring meter to shit!
If you didn't see it with your own eyes, and hear it with your own ears. Don't invent it with your small mind or share it with your big gob!
Buying back players that you sold is boring lol
Caritas_05 Caritas_05